25 Oct Announcement of GENERATION 2020
“Janáček May“, o.p.s.
in cooperation with OSA Partnership and AHUV association.
The 9th edition of “Generation – international competition for composers up to 30 years“ from Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Republic of Poland and Hungary.
The competition will take place in two categories:
- 1st category is intended for young composers from the Czech and Slovak Republic, Republic of Poland and Hungary, who have not reached the age of 30 till 31st December 2019 (i.e. who were born after 31st December 1989).
- 2nd category is intended for young composers from the Czech and Slovak Republic, Republic of Poland and Hungary, who have not reached the age of 21 till 31st December 2019 (i.e. who were born after 31st December 1998).
In both categories the compositions include the following:
- Compositions for solo instrument without accompaniment.
- Compositions with accompaniment of one instrument (piano, organ, guitar, etc.) or instruments represented in the symphonic orchestra.
- Compositions for small chamber ensembles from two to eleven instruments (in various combinations).
- Compositions for steady instrumental groups (duo, trio, quartet, quintet and chamber orchestra – up to 24 members and chamber choir).
Application form is available at the website below:
Conditions of competiton:
- Duration of the composition should not exceed 20 minutes.
- Only those compositions may be accepted that were not rewarded in other competitions – competitors confirm this requirement by a written statement.
- The competition is not anonymous. Musical scores must be written legibly in the appropriate form. Competitors are obliged to deliver the scores thourgh application form. Attachment of informative audio track is not mandatory but recommended through application form.
- Submitted works will be evaluated by an expert international jury: Milan Báchorek (Czech Republic), Ivan Kurz (Czech Republic), Hanuš Bartoň (Czech Republic), Vít Zouhar (Czech Republic), Alexander Lasoń (Republic of Poland), Jevgenij Iršai (Slovak Republic), László Tihanyi (Hungary).
- Janáček May and OSA Partnership agreed on the financial prizes for the winners as follows:
I. category for composers up to 30 years
the 1st prize – 30.000 CZK / 1.150 EUR
the 2nd prize – 20.000 CZK / 750 EUR
the 3rd prize – 10.000 CZK / 400 EUR
II. category for composers up to 21 years
the 1st prize – 20.000 CZK / 750 EUR
the 2nd prize – 10.000 CZK / 400 EUR
the 3rd prize – 5.000 CZK / 200 EUR
- The AHUV prize for best Czech competitor is 15 000 CZK.
- The jury is entitled not to award some of the prizes or divide some of the prizes among multiple awarded competitors
- A maximum of two compositions by one author may be accepted for the competition.
- The closing deadline of competition is 31st January 2020.
- Evaluation of the competition will be held by the end of March 2020.
- Selected winning compositions will be presented at a concert making part of the Leoš Janáček International Music Festival 2021.
- Each author is obliged to attach his personal data, incl. phone number and E-mail, and residential or correspondence address to the submitted composition.
- Registration fee – the administrative fee is as follows:
a) for Czech participants 500 CZK for each competition composition – the participant pays this amount till January 2020 via a bank transfer to the account No. 185514525/0300, variable symbol 31012018
b) for participants from abroad 20 EUR for each competition composition – the participant pays this amount till January 2020 via a bank transfer to the account No. 198496071/0300, variable symbol 31012018, BIC: CEKOCZPP, IBAN: CZ79 0300 0000 0001 9849 6071
- Compositions with marking “Generace 2020” must be delivered by author till 31st January 2020 through application form, which is published at website www.mhflj.cz in “GENERACE” section. Only compositions submitted by the electronic version through the application form are accepted for competition year 2019. Delivery of compositions / scores in physical form is not necessary.
MgA. Ondřej Sikora
+420 607 783 165
+420 731 176 024